By Sarah Marino and Ron Coscorrosa
Among artistic disciplines, and even among other photography disciplines, landscape photographers are faced with an enormous challenge: the scenes we photograph are real and are not created with any input from the photographer. Instead, we have seek them out. There is no blank canvas to start, but rather a rich tapestry of existing materials that the photographer has to make sense of and showcase in a way that reflects their artistic vision.
Beyond the Grand Landscape is about removing restrictions and expanding the domain of the subject matter that you photograph - to move beyond grand landscapes photographed during the golden hour and to include smaller scenes and intimate details that are everywhere and available to photograph in all types of light throughout the day.
This ebook is designed to help photographers develop field practices and a mindset that helps to see and discover these scenes, as well as learn the techniques to capture them in the field.
Beyond the Grand Landscape includes:
- Twelve key creative concepts and field practices to help you discover and photograph a diverse array of small scenes.
- Exercises to facilitate your learning and application of the concepts in the eBook.
- Field techniques for creating natural abstracts, macro, flowers, and foliage photographs using a simple kit of equipment.
- Foundations of photographic composition and technical fundamentals.
- A discussion of the importance of light, weather, and atmospheric conditions in photographing small scenes and how you can use these conditions to your advantage.
- A discussion of mood and its importance in establishing an emotional connection to viewers.
- Interviews with inspiration and photographs from four talented photographers, each with a deep portfolio of intimate landscapes and small scenes (Justin Reznick, Alex Mody, Robin Black, and Greg Russell).
- A showcase of images, including a discussion on composition, light, mood, and the thought process while in the field and post-processing choices.
- Photo processing fundamentals and essential techniques, including three start to finish examples.
- More than 250 images to demonstrate these concepts in a practical and immediately applicable manner.
174 page digital PDF eBook download
About the Authors
Sarah Marino and Ron Coscorrosa are nature photographers, photography educators, and writers with a home base in the mountains of southwest Colorado, and a mobile base in an Airstream trailer (typically found somewhere in the American West). They enjoy photographing natural landscapes of all kinds, from forests and mountains to oceans and deserts, from small scenes to grand landscapes, and from bold dramatic light to soft diffused light. They have co-authored several highly regarded photography eBooks and video tutorials for nature photographers.